In 1895 Ludwig Weinrich and Paul Drüge set up the “Herforder Biscuit – und Cakesfabrik Weinrich & Drüge”.
After Paul Drüge leaves the firm in 1912 it passes into the possession of the Weinrich family.
Chocolate production starts shortly after the First World War. In 1923 Ludwig Weinrich sets up the “Ludwig Weinrich Schokolade – und Keksfabrik AG”.
Alongside biscuits, waffles and gingerbread the company dedicates itself increasingly to making chocolate and pralines, and refining their quality in order to market them as a successful brand.
Production of bakery goods and pralines ceases at the start of the 1960s and the company concentrates on making chocolate bars with and without fillings, as well as couverture.
In 1991 a management buy-out results in the shares of the Weinrich family passing into the hands of the long-time company head, Cord Gerhard Budde Sr. who had entered into the service of the Weinrich company as a son-in-law in 1954.
In 1993 Cord Budde Jr. takes over the running of the company and in 1998 he acquires a majority of the company’s shares.
Weinrich moves into fresh territory in 1996 with the production of fair-trade chocolate. In the following years the company grows into one of the leading producers of fair-trade chocolate in the world.
Right at the turn of the century Weinrich sets up a subsidiary company EcoFinia GmbH to produce organic chocolate under the brand name VIVANI Premium Chocolate. Today VIVANI is one of the top brands in the area of organic chocolate and is marketed in over 50 countries around the world.
Weinrich’s own brand undergoes a relaunch in 2011. Chocolate fans all over the world are delighted at the reappearance of the range of “Weinrichs 1895 Finest Chocolate” on the market.